17 September 2012

Week 3: Men, Masculinites and Accountability

Hey Everyone,

So this week we'll have Brian Hayes from Key Communities joining us to talk about the role of accountability in men's anti-gender violence work.  When we talk about accountability, we're basically talking about practices (both formal and informal) of holding ourselves and others responsible for behavior.
When Brian was an undergrad here at CSU he participated in a program called "The Men's Project", which like MitM, was a program that encouraged men to examine gender violence.  The Men's Project no longer exists and we'll talk about why, and highlight the importance of structuring accountability into the work that we do.

When I think about accountability I tend to think about it in two major ways:

1. Self accountability: How do I make sure I'm being conscious of my actions and working to realize the impact that they may have?

2. Holding others accountable: What responsibility do I have in addressing the harm that someone in my community causes? 

There's not a lot out there on how to hold yourself accountable (that I could find at least), but below are a couple things that might be useful when trying to hold others accountable.  We'll spend more time talking about the former on Wednesday. 




It's Pronounced Metrosexual
 
 
 
Jay Smooth's Ill Doctrine:
How to Tell People They Sound Racist
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment