24 July 2014

Why it’s important for Men in the Movement to talk about Eliot Rodger

On Saturday, May 24th, 2014, Elliot Rodger killed six people and himself in Isla Vista, California outside of the University of California, Santa Barbara. The initial coverage of the incident indicated that Rodger was a White male. But according to his manifesto, Rodger identifies as “Eurasian”. Both mainstream coverage and the blogosphere did not dive into the nuances of mixed race masculinity, which in this case was an integral component missing from the overall discussion about violent masculinity and misogyny in our culture. As members of Men in the Movement, we need to bring these issues to the forefront.

However, making the connection between mixed race identity and masculinity can be difficult. My purpose today is to provide context, insight, and language around the nuances of mixed masculinity. I will do this by talking about my personal experience as well as my thoughts on Elliot Rodger’s Manifesto so that we can begin to have these conversations in our communities. To do this, I will start with basic gender socialization, then move into how that is complicated by race, while talking about how that has personally affected me. From there, I will talk about Rodger’s Manifesto from a mixed race male perspective.


For me, the best way to think about gender socialization is to ask the question, “What does it mean to be a man in US society?” I ask this of students in a workshop called “Gender Boxes” and their answers are generally the same. Just to name a few, men are supposed to be tough, strong, bread-winners, competitive, aggressive, emotionless (except for anger), and be sexually successful with women. It is a very heteronormative framework and this is typically called “The Man Box.” I am a very well socialized man, and I continue to be well socialized. I identify as cis-gender and heterosexual. My gender expression is masculine, borderline hyper-masculine. I like sports, beer, camping, and winning. I can find a myriad of representations and role models in mainstream media that represent me as a hetero man.

Another aspect of gender socialization is what men are called when they don’t fit into the man box or if they step out of it. There are a plethora of words and expressions we use to push ourselves and other men back into the man box that are homophobic, transphobic, and misogynistic. I have certainly been the target of these words, and I have used many of them as well. I was personally responsible for perpetrating the man box growing up and I am still deconstructing my socialization today. The underlying theme is that there is a standard for what it means to be a man, and if you don’t fit it you are considered “less than” other men, and are punished for it.

The wrinkle in all this is that I identify as Asian and White, much like Elliot Rodger. If I were to ask “What does it mean to be an Asian man in US society?” the box would look significantly different, and it would look different for Black/African American men, Chicano/Latino/Hispanic men, Native men, and so on. What that means is that when we ask “what does it mean to be a man in US society?” we are actually asking “What does it mean to be a White, heterosexual, able-bodied, cis-male?”

In general, I think it’s fair to say that Asian male stereotypes in the US are fairly opposite of White male stereotypes. Asian men are portrayed as effeminate, nerdy, foreign, and socially awkward, with maybe the exception of martial artists. However, even martial arts masters who have many characteristics of “The Man Box” are never portrayed as “getting the girl” the same way White men are. So growing up I felt like I had to choose between these two masculinities, emulating White masculinity or Asian masculinity.  For me, choosing a masculinity is the same as choosing race. For a mixed kid in a predominantly white area, the choice was obvious.

The fear of being perceived as “less than” a man was very real for me growing up. So unfortunately, there was a period of time when I was obsessed with disproving Asian stereotypes because of the association of Asian stereotypes with weakness, and it led to hatred for my Asian identity. It also led to practicing hyper-masculinity. I intentionally tried to posture and act tougher to make up for being part Asian. Looking back, I truly regret those decisions, but at the time it was a way for me to survive. Reflecting back on these experiences have led me to believe that self-identifying as multiracial for many might mean admitting to being “less than” a race. A common experience for multiracial people is that we hear over and over that we’re not Asian enough, or not Black enough, etc., because of our mixed heritage. Perhaps that sentiment of not being enough racially directly impacts feelings of not being manly enough. In other words, I’m not White enough to be a real man.

With this framework and understanding of my own life, I began to read Elliot Rodger’s manifesto. Before I get into it, I want to express my condolences for the families of the victims. I've seen what sudden tragedy can do to a family, and no one should have to go through that.

In addition, I want to mention that this isn’t an attempt to try and humanize Rodger. In fact, the goal of his manifesto was to generate empathy for his “cause” and cast responsibility onto others. He doesn't deserve that and there’s no excuse for what he did. Even with this in mind, it was very difficult for me to maintain that boundary because many of his childhood experiences directly mirrored my own.

I had expected the ramblings of a madman, but first half of the 137 page manifesto was not that at all. It was organized by what he remembered from every year of his life since he was five years old. He was a shy kid and at the age of nine, realized with some horror that he wasn't one of the “cool” kids. This led to his first thought about being mixed race: “This revelation about the world, and about myself, really decreased my self-esteem. On top of this was the feeling that I was different because I am of mixed race. I am half White, half Asian, and this made me different from the normal fully-white kids that I was trying to fit in with” (p17). Since I grew up in a predominantly White area, this was very salient to me as well. The idea that Whiteness or being “fully” something is “normal” is something that needs to be intentionally interrupted. It took me a long time to figure that out. It’s difficult to find value in myself when there’s a skewed standard of what is considered “normal” in our society.

Compounding this feeling for Rodger is that he talks a lot about being shorter, weaker, and having a general lack of physical capability and athleticism compared to other boys. When there’s too much emphasis and value added to being big, strong, and athletic in “The Man Box” then it’s difficult for many boys to value themselves.

There are two other lines that really stood out to me when examining the manifesto through the lens of Asian/White masculinity. When talking about his parent’s divorce, he writes, “The family I grew up with has split in half, and from then on I would grow up in two different households” (p10). This stood out to me because it was another representation of being “less than” to his peers. For me personally, I have the privilege of parents who remained together. And there was still a feeling of being split. For example, when we went to my White father’s family reunion, I got the same othering experiences from my family in terms of my race as I did in every other social sphere. When we had the privilege of travelling to Japan with my mother for family over there, most people would speak English to me first and then be fantastically surprised at how good my Japanese is. For me, the idea of “home” was pretty shaky beyond my physical home where we lived growing up. This has an impact, again, on feeling “normal” or “less than” other people, and I believe that when he felt like his family “split in half” it continued to compound feelings of inadequacy.

The third line that resonated with me was when Rodger writes, “I was like a nomad, moving from group to group and trying to fit in with each one, but never fully integrating” (p23). This actually corresponds to my experience as well. I can’t remember having consistent friendships until high school. I have always wondered if this was influenced in some way by my mixed race identity. I’m not saying that because Rodger experienced the same thing that it is a commonplace experience for mixed race children. It may be just a common experience for children in general. Either way, it’s an area to consider when thinking about mixed race stories.

The blatant racism and misogyny of Elliot Rodger’s thoughts and actions is disgusting, but I’m not sure that they’re unusual. If I’m being completely honest, there have been points in my life where I have said and thought many of the things that he has. There are elements to his story that other people have explored. For example, some of those elements have to do with the privilege of his socio economic status, perhaps some sort of disability (mental or learning), gun control, and video game addiction. To get the full picture of Elliot Rodger is to get the full picture of the society we are cultivating.

As a community of men who critically examine the world around us, we have to start engaging in these conversations from our dominant perspectives in the right way. We have much to offer social justice movements. But we have to be humble. We have to understand the skepticism that is associated with our perspectives. This ultimately means recognizing and understanding how our own privilege operates. For example, when I speak as a person of color about multiracial issues, I have to be aware of my masculinity so that my message isn't lost on women and LGBTQ folks in the room. I often wonder if the more masculine I present, maybe the more White I am perceived, therefore my message could be lost. These complicated identity dynamics are important to be aware of if we’re going to be effective social justice advocates.


At the same time, I can navigate many different spaces because of my racial ambiguity (or if I name it for what it is, it’s my biracial White privilege). That doesn't make my experiences with oppression any less significant, but it’s a really important factor in understanding myself and initiating important conversations to better support and challenge each other as a community of Men in the Movement. To me, most conversations around identity in most higher education spaces revolve around fairly privileged concepts. I never once read the world “microaggression” in Rodger’s manifesto. And I don’t think he cared that he had the opportunity to check two or more race boxes. And although those concepts are important to contextualize the experience of mixed race individuals, at the core, Rodger and many like him don’t feel supported as a person. As we we continue to evolve as a community, we have to find ways that will push the discourse of identity in order to better support ourselves and others in the movement. This includes understanding the complexities of the intersections of our identities, but also finding a way to make those conversations more accessible. It’s bringing the nuance of identity to the forefront in conversations about serious topics such as sexual violence or the case of Elliot Rodger. It’s constantly examining how our own identities impact the world around us. It’s creating spaces for others and ourselves to talk about gender based violence and finding opportunities to impact our campus and the surrounding community. And it’s leaning on each other to help create and maintain a safer future.

No comments:

Post a Comment